Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Winter Soup Swap - Apple and Pumpkin Soup

Some of us here at Quotidian Dignities have decided to try a winter soup swap. I don't know about you but I can't make one meals worth of soup to save my life. I'm always half way into the recipe only to realize my 8 qt pot is not big enough. So I transfer and start praying that the soup turns out good enough to either give away or eat for weeks.

Instead of fighting this mass feeding instinct, I decided to ask some friends to join me and then share what they make too much of. This way we each get different soups to eat all month rather than being forced to think of new ways to use the soup I made way too much of.

The recipe for my first soup swap is below. The recipe said it made enough for 4 servings but I thought it looked like a lot more than that. Since I needed 12 servings I decided to only double the recipe. I got 12 quarts. So unless you eat 6 c of soup as one serving, you can safely assume that one recipe makes way more than four servings! Count on being able to feed 12 with bread and salad or even more if you pour the soup over rice. I put mine in 1 qt canning jars and put the jars in the freezer to pull out if someone has a baby or if I have a house full of dinner guests. Or if I just don't feel like cooking.

APPLE AND PUMPKIN SOUP

Roast:
2 lg butternut squash, pumpkin or winter squash

Saute:
3 or 4 medium onions, coarsely diced
2 Tbs curry powder
4 Tbs olive oil (or 2 T butter and 2 T olive oil)

Add:
6 peeled, cored, and slice apples
1 qt chicken stock
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
peeled and cubed squash

Simmer till all is soft.
Puree in batches.

Add:
2 c fresh apple cider
1-2 qt chicken stock

Soup should be a little sweet and thick so add stock accordingly. Salt and pepper to taste. Its really yummy and not at all spicy. You could add a chipotle sauce when you serve it or diced jalapenos, etc. The recipe suggests serving with sour cream, diced apple, and toasted pecans. Which sounds great if I'm serving it to someone who cares about presentation.

This recipe makes about 6 quarts.

1 comment:

Daniela said...

Can you put something right near the soup title (or post title) that it's a gluten and dairy free recipe? it'll help me keep them straight