Monday, September 29, 2008

Old vs. New

Sometimes I think Modern Life just sucks the dignity out of things. Take spaghetti sauce for example.

What glory is there in opening a jar (from who knows where) and pouring it (made of who knows what) into a pan and flipping the switch to Med-High? (Or in my case to High, as I like to cook things as quickly as possible. [My husband likes to remind me that 'burning' is not the same as 'cooking'. But I digress.])

Now, don't get me wrong. There's nothing 'wrong' with canned spaghetti sauce. In fact, I use it often. I do make sure it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup (banned in Germany, I found out yesterday) and that it does have organic ingredients. But still. Where's the joy?

But THIS year, I'm planning to make spaghetti sauce from scratch. Not just scratch but scratch-scratch. I'm making sauce from tomatoes grown either in my garden or in a local one (purchased at the Farmer's Market). With real garlic that I'll cut up with my own two hands. And onions with local dirt clinging to them that I will brush off myself. And herbs minced by hand. And I'll be trying canning for the first time in my life without Mom standing at my elbow.

I look forward to this winter, when I will pull one of these jars out and pour IT into a pan on Med-High. The simmer of the sauce. The bubbles slowly popping as my creation heats to perfection. The oohs and aahs at the dinner table as the saucy redness is poured over our brown rice noodles. I think it will feel glorious.

I just hope it tastes good. And that I don't botulize* anyone.

*botulize - v. to inadvertently infect a loved one with botulism

1 comment:

podso said...

Tomatoes do get hot fast and I've had them erupt and hit all kinds of things near the stove in my haste to heat sauce or chili or anything else with tomatoes.

Meanwhile, you are making me hungry!