Friday, April 24, 2009

Arugula out the Ears


What do you do when you have Arugula growing like crazy in your garden? (I must have some freaky microclimate, perfect for this member of the Brassicaceae family, in my backyard).


You. Make. Pesto.

The first photo was taken after I was DONE! Which just goes to show that I had harvested oh so much. So I gave some away, ate some in a salad, and then started sauteeing the rest with garlic and olive oil. Yum.

Arugula Pesto (Nut and dairy free)

A BUNCH of Arugula*
A BUNCH of Spinach
A bunch of cloves of garlic
Some salt
Some olive oil (enough to get it to all blend together)
A little water (for the same reason as above)

Blend.

(At first, I hadn't added any spinach. Man oh man was that ever spicy! The spinach tones it down nicely, and stretches it, too.)

I warmed the pesto on the stove on low to get it all nice and um, nice. Then froze it in '1 family meal' portions. The spice of the Arugula makes me forget all about the Pine Nuts and Parmesan!

I've tried this recipe with Cilantro, too. The kids loved both kinds!

*You can even eat the flowers! They're slightly sweet, slightly spicy.

3 comments:

Dorothy Marner said...

Neat! I just did the same except I added Parmesan and didn't heat. I wish I had heated.

How do you add cilantro - instead of spinach, instead of arugula ... I have a ton of cilantro that needs to be used. Not sure what to do but want to do something that I can put in the freezer.

Jesse said...

I am so thankful to be the recipient of some of your arugula bounty! I made a huge salad topped with thinly sliced steak and mango. yum.

And I also made some pesto: you can use lemon juice in place of water or for some of the water.

Daniela said...

That salad sounds amazing, Jesse! I wish I could come up with combos like that. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the lemon juice tip. Good idea!

P.S. I have more arugula...