Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dispelling Acedia

I have found that the days can groan especially long when I try to take care of home and baby all by myself. I kiss honey goodbye through the half opened eye of 6am and sometime after that I roll out of bed when baby begins to cry. This morning I put whole beans in the french press and cracked my morning eggs into the sink. Thats when I knew I was glad that I didn't have to do the whole day alone.

So I've been learning a lot about making my own laundry and dishwasher detergents, making yogurt, hummus, and sourdough bread from scratch and I have found that these activities are actually enjoyable when I can trade a tub of hummus for some fresh zucchini or when I can bring home a handful of vine-ripened tomatoes after helping a friend pack a couple moving boxes. I think ordinary activities actually restore dignity to weary souls and that they gird up our hearts for eternity when we do them with friends.

1 comment:

Daniela said...

I got the good end of the zucchini-hummus trade! Yum. It starts with a zesty citrus taste; you think to yourself "What a delightful hummus." Then WHAM, a swift kick to the bum with a wallop of molten lava to the taste buds. This is MY kind of hummus!