Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dishwasher Cleaner

Finally, after several different recipes and modifications that failed my expectations, I found the cleaning formula for me. I'm in the middle of unloading the inaugural load and what made me pause to post was the completely clean plate that went in with several hours old egg yolk. Now you know that if that came out clean, its a good recipe! So here it is:

Heat 1/2 c. Castile Soap in 2 c. water. Don't boil but get it really hot.
Add 1/2 c. Borax, 1/2 c. Washing Soda, 1/4 c. Baking Soda and stir till its completely dissolved.
Add a few drops Essential Lemon or Orange Oil (optional).
Let it cool and use enough to fill your little detergent holder in the dishwasher.

I also fill my jet dry rinse aid with White Vinegar. If you have hard water or are concerned about a really good rinse getting all the Borax off and neutralized then this may be a good option for you!

Happy automatic dishwashing while you read a book or take a bath or watch your robotic vacuum cleaner terrorize the dog.

PS: Don't bottle the potion until its cooled as you may blow the top. Common sense. Anywho, you may need to give the bottle a good shake before it will pour. Two loads down and still happy! I used a Peppermint Castile Soap and Lemon Essential Oil so my kitchen smells clean and minty. Mmmm.

5 comments:

Daniela said...

Woot! Now if I could just find me some washing soda!

Dorothy Marner said...

Go to Smith's baby. Its right next to the Borax on the laundry aisle.

Conventional groceries are still good for something. I went to TWO natural grocers yesterday and no one had gallon jugs of white vinegar (an essential for making your own cleaning supplies) so I had to go to the normal grocery that I usually avoid. Poop.

Natural grocers should be more helpful here and stock borax, washing soda, and the like! Oh well, at least they have local organic produce :-)

Daniela said...

Yah, it's GETTING THERE that's the problem for me. Now, looking at this recipe and remembering what went into the laundry detergent...Is there any difference?

Dorothy Marner said...

Just proportions. And maybe the scent you would choose :-)The dishwasher detergent is a lot thicker because there's not nearly as much water.

podso said...

OK this is such a flashback. When I was your age, if I could make it, I did. I think I even tried rice krispies one time!