Friday, October 24, 2008

My Livestock

Have I told you about my herd of livestock? Man, are these guys little troopers. They eat much of my kitchen waste (peels, cores, any other veggies) and never complain. And they are multiplying at a prodigious rate! It's cold here, but they don't seem to mind that either. All they seem to care about is food to eat and a place to sleep.

What are they, you ask? Chickens? I wish! Ducks? Nope! Little urban city swine? No again!

They're redworms! And they are making me some mighty fine fertilizer.

Now, you ask, why in the world would I post about worms on this blog about nice warm cuddly things like Butternut Squash Soup and sharing veggies with neighbors and Granola?

I don't know, actually!

There just seems to be something great about having a way to 'recycle' my kitchen waste into something useful rather than filling up a landfill. And I got to share worms with a friend yesterday so she could start her own herd!

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Composting is awesome. Since we moved, we've just been throwing everything in the garbage, and it's amazing what a difference it makes. My trash stinks and fills up so much faster. Any chance you could share some more worms?

Dorothy Marner said...

Urban livestock is awesome! And their poop is seriously rich. If little bitty worms can do this much good, just think what your veggie garden would do with some chickens, a ewe, and a cute black milking goat!

PS - Whats more quotidianly ordinary than worms, dirt, poop, and recycled food scraps?