Monday, October 13, 2008

Minty Tooth Powder

So I've been using a fluoride-free toothpaste for a while now. But I didn't really know why. I did find some some interesting reasons here (about flouride) and here (about sodium lauryl sulfate). I got to thinking, if the paste I've been buying doesn't have any crud in it, what DOES it have in it? Turns out, not much. Therefore, I decided to make some tooth powder myself. Why pay some company to package baking soda and flavoring in a non-recyclable tube?

Actually, it doesn't taste bad at all. And somehow I like the salt in it. Now, if I can get the rest of the family to use it...

Tooth Powder Recipe

2 Tbsp baking soda
1/3 teaspoon salt
5 drops peppermint oil (I used more like 8 drops)

Here's what I like about this new quotidian ritual: The little spoon I use to pour a bit of powder on my toothbrush each morning. It's sweet.

I'm thinking about flavoring the next batch with a little fennel oil, too. Yum!

7 comments:

Dorothy Marner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothy Marner said...

Hmmm, I bet ginger or cinnamon would be nice to. I read recently about making tea from cinnamon sticks to combat sadness. Ill be out of Tom's here soon. Maybe we'll try to new paste.

What are you storing your batch in?

I used to use straight baking soda as a kid. I actually didn't mind it and to this day I think conventional toothpastes are too sweet to actually do much cleaning!

Daniela said...

Bubba LOVES his minty tooth powder. He used it at least 2x the first day.

I just have the powder in a little bowl with a small spoon. I was thinking about putting it in an old spice jar with holes in the lid...

Dorothy Marner said...

P said he'd give it a try but wants to be able to 'dip' his brush in and not have the hassle of trying to pour a spoonful onto the bristles and wet it down, etc. Maybe we'll each get our own little pot so as to keep the dipping germs singular. Probably not worth worrying about with a spouse ... kissy kissy!

Kermit and Elektra said...

Problem is, when you dip it, the soda gets all caked up...at least it did way back when I've tried it. I love the salt spoon and cellar idea.

Daniela said...

I've thought about storing the mixture in an old spice jar with holes in the lid. Sprinkle Sprinkle!

Bonnie said...

Is there fluoride in the water?
Need to ask my sister ...the dental
hygenist. She has seen too many
kids without fluoride. That is why they are at the dentist. I'll get back to you!

Bonnie